A tasty blend of cabbage, carrots, radish, onions, bell pepper, ginger, chilli and garlic, Kimchi is perfect as a side dish, in salads or for an added kick in stir-fries, noodles and rice. It’s high in fibre and, as it’s fermented, provides beneficial bacteria for gut health.
SERVES: 8 READY IN: 30 MINUTES
- 4 cups Green Cabbage (tightly packed)
- 6 stalks Green Onion (diced)
- 1 Carrot (large, grated)
- 1 cup Radishes (grated)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 3 tbsps Ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Core and finely slice your cabbage. Place in a mixing bowl with all ingredients. Using your clean hands, massage the salt into the cabbage and vegetables until it starts to soften (5 to 10 minutes). Set aside and let rest for 10 minutes then massage again for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the kimchi into sterilized jars, leaving an inch of space at the top. Pack it down into the jar until the brine rises to cover the vegetables. Seal the jars with sterilized lids.
- Let it ferment at room temperature for 3 to 5 days. It may bubble and that is normal. Check on your kimchi everyday and re submerge the vegetables under the brine if they rise.
- Taste your kimchi on day 3. If it tastes ripe, transfer it to the fridge. If not, let it ferment another day or two.
- Enjoy kimchi right away or let sit for another week or two for extra flavour
Serve it with burgers, salas, rice or noodles.