Stuffed peppers are incredibly versatile and can be filled with almost any combination of healthy ingredients. Give this tasty deconstructed stuffed peppers recipe a try.
SERVES: 6 READY IN: 50 MINS
- 1 cup brown rice
- 680 grams extra lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 red bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 2 tsps paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 stalks green onion (chopped)
1. Cook the rice according to the package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef to the pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once it is cooked through and no longer pink, transfer the meat to a plate and drain any excess drippings from the pan.
3. Add the oil to the same pot and cook the peppers for about 8 minutes until just tender. Add the browned beef back to the pot and season with with Italian Seasoning, paprika, salt and red pepper flakes.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, water and half of the green onions. Bring to a gentle boil then let simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the peppers are very tender. Season with additional salt if needed.
5. To serve, divide the beef mixture and rice between bowls. Stir together and then top with the remaining green onions. Enjoy!
Leftovers: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
Serving Size: One serving is approximately 1 1/3 cups of the beef mixture and 2/3 cups of the rice.