If you’re looking for a nutritious dish to enjoy this winter, a warm Cream of Broccoli Soup is hard to beat. Cashews and green lentils give this recipe that extra thickness and flavour.
- 1 sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 5 cups broccoli (chopped, incl. stalks)
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 cups green lentils (cooked, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups baby spinach
1. Throw your chopped onion, carrot, celery and broccoli in a large pot. Pour in water and add the dried basil and sea salt. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
2. In a blender, create your cashew cream by blending together 1 cup of cashews with 1 cup water. (If you alter the serving size, just keep the cashew to water ratio 1:1.) Pour the cashew cream in with your veggies and stir. Now add your green lentils and stir again.
3. Place spinach in the bottom of the blender. Then carefully transfer soup to the blender and blend to a puree. Ladle into bowls and drizzle with a bit of olive oil if you fancy. Enjoy!
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to four days.