Try this beef liver, onions and sage next time you want something that’s flavoursome and quick to prepare. Organ meats might not be as popular as they once were but they truly are nutritional powerhouses. Liver is a nutrient-dense food that’s rich in protein and packed with essential vitamins and minerals.
- 1/4 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (divided)
- 225 grams beef liver (sliced into strips)
- 3 tbsps avocado oil (divided)
- 1 yellow onion (medium, sliced)
- 2 tbsps fresh sage
1. In a bowl, combine the flour and half of the salt. Add liver and toss until well coated. Set aside.
2. Heat 1/3 of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions until translucent and tender. Transfer to a bowl and toss with sage and remaining salt.
3. In the same pan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Cook the liver for about 5 minutes, flipping halfway. It should be slightly pink in the center.
4. Return the cooked onions and sage to the pan and stir with the liver for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days.
No fresh sage: Use dried sage instead.
No avocado oil: Use butter, coconut oil, olive oil or ghee instead.
More carbs: Serve it with quinoa, couscous, rice, toast or potatoes.